Farm Plans & Development

Farm Development/Amendment Plan Submission

Step 1. Get clearance and approval

You have to submit these plans AVA for clearance and BCA for building plan approval:

  • farm layout plans
  • building plans
Step 2: Engage a Qualified Person before submitting plans

You have to engage an Qualified Person (Architect or Professional Engineer) to assist you in the submission of your farm plans.

Step 3: Submit farm plans

Your Qualified Person has to submit the farm plans to AVA for clearance and to BCA for building plan approval using opens in a new windowe-submission (Corenet system).

A meeting can be arranged together with your Qualified Person to find out more about the requirements for the design of the farm and submission of farm plans to AVA and BCA for approval.

For more clarifications on the submission of farm plans, please contact:

Mr Yeo Meng Wah Senior Licensing Executive
Tel 6805 2510

Guidelines for Visitor Amenities

The opens in a new windowUrban Redevelopment Authority (URA) has drawn up these guidelines for farm operators who are interested to include visitor amenities on their farms:

Type of Use Maximum allowable Gross Floor Area
  • Snack bar
  • Café
  • Restaurant
  • Outdoor refreshment areas
  • Retail outlets (for sale of farm and non-farm products like souvenirs)
200 sqm
  • Visitor centre (For use as a museum or education centre to showcase farm-related exhibits like its local history)
200 sqm

Development Charge or differential premium will be levied for the visitor amenities. You have to submit your development plans for the proposed visitor amenities, together with your business proposals to AVA for endorsement before submission of the Development Application to URA.

Renewing tenancy agreement for farms

Short-term tenancies of land for farming are on a 1-year to 3-year term.

Existing tenants who wish to apply for renewal of tenancy for another term should write to AVA 3 months before the existing tenancy expires at:

Site Licensing Section
Agri-Food and Veterinary Authority of Singapore
52 Jurong Gateway Road #09-01
Singapore 608550

Renewal of tenancy letter

You will be informed in writing if your request for renewal of tenancy has been approved. In the letter, you will be informed of:

  • new terms of tenancy
  • amount of payment for the annual land rent and other charges
Upon acceptance of renewal

You need to make the required payment by the stated due date to signify acceptance of the new terms of tenancy. You also have to produce a fresh security deposit equivalent to 3-month of the annual land rent either in:

  • cheque
  • banker's guarantee
  • insurance bond

You have to go to the AVA office to execute the new Tenancy Agreement and also produce a cashier order to the Commissioner of Stamp Duties for payment of stamp fees for the Tenancy Agreement.

Extension of Land Leases for Farms

Existing leasehold farm owners who want to apply for an extension of their existing land leases should write to:

Commissioner of Lands, Singapore Land Authority
Revenue House 55 Newton Road, #12-01
Singapore 307987

Applying for a Farm Licence

You need to apply for a farm licence when your leasehold has been successfully tendered or tenancy land has been approved for farming.


You have to be the lessee or tenant of the farmland or the premises approved for farming use.

Definition of Farm

A farm means any land or premises, whether enclosed by fencing, is used for the keeping, rearing, breeding or boarding of animals or birds for commercial purposes or the cultivation of plants for commercial production.

Application Procedures

You can submit these items together with the prescribed fee to AVA in person or by mail:

If submitting by mail, the application forms must be completed and duly signed together with all the required supporting documents.

You have to produce these documents (where applicable) together with your application form for verification and processing:

  • copy of the latest Business Profile extract from the Accounting and Corporate Regulatory Authority (ACRA) if you are a company or business firm
  • copies of any documentary evidence on the approval of the land for farming such as lease or tenancy agreement
  • copies of the NRIC(s) [front and back] of the Lessee/Tenant, Joint-Lessee/Tenant or sole-proprietor or all the partners in the Business Firm
  • latest Medisave Contribution Payment Receipt if you are self-employed

The following additional documents are required for Indoor Farming:

  • URA’s approval for the use of premises for farming purpose or for the change of land use to agriculture production
  • written approval from landlord for proposed use of premises for farming
  • detailed proposal or write-up for the proposed indoor farming
Fees and Payment

The Licence Fee is S$100 and is valid for a year. The Giro application takes a month to process, hence the licence fees for the first year must be paid by either:

Licensing conditions

The following sets of licensing conditions for the various farm types are attached below for your information:



Dragon Fish Farms

The Dragon fish, Scleropages formosus, is also known as Asian Arowana. It is one of the most sought-after ornamental fish by hobbyists. It is classified as one of the most highly endangered species under the Convention on International Trade in Endangered Species of Wild Fauna and Flora (CITES), Appendix I.

Commercial import, export and sale of these animals or plants listed under this category are normally prohibited in all member countries unless these conditions are met:

  • specimens are bred in captivity
  • specimens can be artificially propagated
  • specimens used for non-commercial purposes such as research, teaching, breeding or propagation

Dragon Fish Farm Registration Scheme

All Dragon fish exported from Singapore must be farm-bred. To ensure good management of Dragon fish stocks for sustained production and to regulate recruitment of new stock, all Dragon fish farms in Singapore must be registered. There has to be proper documentation of the farm production and sales and a certain standard of farm management has to be practised.

Farms under this scheme have to adhere to these practices:

Breeding Programme:

  • maintain a breeding programme for the Dragon fish population in the farm
  • all dragon fish stocks of all generations must be electronically tagged and documented
  • rear the different year classes of founder stock and their filial generations in separate ponds

Report and Register with AVA

  • must report and register with AVA when a new brood of fry from their captive breeding operation is produced


  • harvesting must be carried out using a technique that enables our inspecting officers to verify the parental lines of offspring produced, such as collection of fry from the mouth of brooder
  • must have a complete record of the numbers and date of collection of :
  • the progeny from the Dragon fish brooders
  • the batch of captive breeding stock from which these progeny are collected

Requirements & Application

Criteria for membership application:

  • must have a valid AVA farm licence for a farm where captive-bred fish are to be produced
  • must own a minimum number of 50 pieces of Captive Breeding stock of Dragon Fish at any one time when registering for the farm and must also submit a breeding programme.
  • must agree to abide by all rules and regulations stated by AVA under the Scheme

Download the opens in a new windowDragon Fish Farm Registration Scheme document to learn more about the scheme.

Back to Top LAST UPDATED ON Wednesday, May 30, 2018
Best viewed on IE9 and above, latest Chrome, Firefox and Safari. Adobe Reader is required for viewing and printing the Portable Document Format (PDF) documents.